Rest Day: Thunder Bay

My day with the Conliffes in Thunder Bay was a wonderfully relaxing one. Mark's help getting prepared for the road ahead and Ena's tremendous cooking made things all the better. My little bike now looks like she's ready to take on the world with an entire new set of rear spokes which are roughly twice as thick as the old ones. They may slow me down, but at least they won't break (and if they do... I may decide to give up on cycling and walk the rest of the way).

The next week is the part of the trip which I've been a bit afraid of this entire journey. It also should prove to be one of the most breathtaking, peaceful experiences I've had in a while. That said, I've always been a social person, so I could do without peaceful and have a bit of a crowd now and then. By the time I hit Toronto, I'm sure I'll be some sort of crazed bushman, starved for attention and ready to tell you all my stories about conversing with the squirrels and helping them with their war against those vile chipmunks.

But I'll save that for another, slightly more mentally unstable day.

I've heard warnings of the hills around Superior being as steep as the rockies and longer than anything I've seen yet. I completely aired out my bags, bought sealed, dry food and still plan to hang everything in a tree to avoid the bears. I had a new bottle rack installed on my bike to carry more water, considering that most of this stretch of highway only has communities every 100km.

This is the real deal; no phones, no friends, minimal stores, scarce water, and animals everywhere. It's probably for the best that I won't be able to update until I get to Sault Ste. Marie, because I know I'll have some rough days out there (and you don't need to hear me swear anymore than I have). Already tomorrow, I'll be riding into rain and headwinds according to the weather.

All I ask is no more hawks.

-====-
Cause I'll get there
When I get there
If I even get there at all


Blow wind blow, blow the other way
Blow wind blow, chase the rain again
Blow wind blow, dry the tears from my face
Blow wind blow, blow me away
-====-

www.prairiepedal.com

2 comments:

sandra August 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Hey Shane,
I'm sandy, Claire Betker's sister. She mentioned your blog so I've been reading about your experiences and couldn't close without some words of encouragement. Canada is an immense country, which you're finding out intimately. This journey you're on is more about travelling into your self than the miles put under the wheels. From what I've read you are aware of this. Enjoy the terrain of the forest. Keep up the dialogue.

Loly August 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM  

Good luck Shane - you'll get through it and when you come out in one [relative] piece on the other side. You'll love it, the views I'm sure will be amazing... you can do it, I have faith!!
All the best, and looking forward to updates when you reach civilisation again. :)
Lots of Love,
Lauren

Post a Comment