The Route


The path will follow over 3500km through the prairies and the Canadian shield. I will primarily be following the trans-Canada highway from Calgary to Toronto with a few deviations for some very important people. The trip will be unsupported, and I will be tenting, unless I'm lucky enough to find friend's couch or floor along my travels.

I will be flying into Calgary from the UK with almost no possessions to my name. I am starting here because in late July, my sister Brie will be having her first child and I will be henceforth known as Uncle Shane!! I will spend just over a week staying with my other sister Jana and her husband Scott preparing equipment and planning for the journey ahead.

From Calgary, I will be detouring through Lethbridge on my way to Medicine Hat to visit my sister, her husband Morgan, and the latest addition to our family. After putting in my obligatory “crazy uncle” time, I will be riding highway #1 through Saskatchewan.

I will eventually need to take a detour south towards highway #2 to spend a day or two on the farm near Souris, MB with my wonderful parents, Verne & Lynda Saunderson. Though I’m sure it will be difficult to leave behind the comforts of my own bed, and all the steak I can eat, I will inevitably have to get back on the road.

After traveling across my home province and through Winnipeg, I’ll link up with the dreaded highway 17 in northern Ontario. This will begin what will unquestionably be the most difficult portion of my journey. Passing through Thunder Bay and around the beauty of Lake Superior, I will slowly make my way towards Sault Ste. Marie.

From there, it’s just a hop skip and a jump past the North Channel and across Manitoulin island, before eventually reaching my final destination of Toronto. My intention is to then go home to my apartment, take an extremely long shower, crack open a beer and decide what next to do with my life.

Cow town to Hog town; when you put it that way, it seems so simple.

0 comments:

Post a Comment