The FAQs

How can I donate?
The easiest way is for you to click on the ‘Donate Now’ link in the top right hand corner of this webpage. This will take you to my Canadahelps Giving Page which is setup to forward all donations to Myeloma Canada. Alternatively, you can send a cheque payable to 'Myeloma Canada' to:
Prairie Pedal - Myeloma Canada
P.O. Box 326
Kirkland, QC H9H 0A4

Where are my donations going?
A portion of the funds raised will be used to support and expand upon the services provided by Myeloma Canada, the only national organization exclusively devoted to the Canadian myeloma community. Established in 2004 as a grass-roots, patient-driven organization, Myeloma Canada has focused on addressing the growing needs of the Canadian myeloma community through educational and awareness programs, such as the annual Patient, Family & Healthcare Professionals Conference, regional information workshops, the quarterly newsletter Myeloma Canada Today and national webinars.

The money raised by the Prairie Pedal fundraiser will be used not only to support Myeloma Canada in its educational and awareness initiatives, but will also help support myeloma research in Canada. A portion of the funds will be put towards the Molly & David Bloom Chair in Multiple Myeloma Research being created at the Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto. This Chair, the first in Canada and only the second in North America, will focus on new drug development, ensuring that more promising new cancer drugs will be tested and moved as quickly as possible from the laboratory to patients.

Where can I learn more about Multiple Myeloma?
The Myeloma Canada website is a fantastic resource for information about Myeloma, causes, symptoms, and treatments for the various types of myelomic cancer. In addition, the website has a swath of recent news and publications on research into myeloma treatment, new government and health Canada initiatives, and experimental clinical trials.

As usual, Wikipedia also has a very useful page on multiple myeloma which can be found here.

How can I contact you on the road?
If you’re interested in getting in touch with me on the road for any reason there are three possible methods:

1) Send me an email to shane@prairiepedal.com; I will try to check this as often as possible.

2) +1-647-992-9267: Call or text me with your questions. I can’t promise I’ll answer every call; I’m already a klutz on a bike and trying to talk on a phone will prove disastrous.

3) Keep an eye on the roads and holler when I pedal past!!

Have you ever done anything like this before?
Not even close. To date, the longest bike ride I've ever done is around 50km. I've never toured on a bike in my life, and my camping and survival experience is limited to what my father and the boy scouts taught me. In short, the most likely outcome of this journey is me pulling a muscle in my leg or getting eaten by a bear.

When will you be passing through my town?
If you navigate to ‘The Route’ section, you will see my planned course from Calgary to Toronto in addition to the schedule I will be trying to maintain. Obviously, due to bad weather, injury, laziness, or good times with amazing people, this schedule may fluctuate from day to day.

I will also (try to) keep a log of my daily travels which should include updates on my location and estimations of my arrival in major cities on the path.

How much are you NOT looking forward to the rough paved, black fly ridden section of highway 17 through northern Ontario?
You have absolutely no idea.

Can I join you?
Please do!! The road can be a lonely place and I would positively love it if you wanted to come out and ride with me for anywhere from 3 to 3000km. I even plan to buy a 2 person tent if you want to snuggle up!! :-p

If you are hoping to catch up with me on the road, send me an email or call and we can make plans to cross paths.

Who would you like to thank?
I need to give a massive thank you to the following people:

  • My family for their endless love, knowledge and support
  • Iain, Mishoo and Vicky for helping whup me back into shape after my injury
  • Aldo Del Col, Marie-Claude Hamel and the team at Myeloma Canada for all their support
  • The countless friends who helped me prepare for this journey and promote the fundraiser
  • Everyone who is able to donate and help make myeloma a thing of the past
  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment