The Reason

Just over two years ago my father was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. Hearing this news was one of the most frightening moments of my life. Working on a farm, my dad has kept in fantastic physical shape for his whole life. He has never smoked. There had been little prior history of cancer in our family. Generally, my father has led a safe, healthy life. This truly was proof that cancer can affect anyone, anywhere and at any time.

He and my mother are avid travelers, and were it not for this fact, he may not still be around right now. Prior to a vacation in 2007, my father had a routine blood sample to ensure that he was safe to travel. The results of this test showed early signs which were eventually confirmed to be myeloma. Fortunately, the cancer was found early and treatment began almost immediately.

Unfortunately, myeloma is currently considered to be incurable, though remissions are possible through an assortment of treatments.

However, for the past two years, my father has been fighting every day. He is one of the strongest people I know, and alongside my loving mother and his supportive friends, has been trying to live his life to its fullest. He has been on various treatments which have helped, however as hard as he fights, and as much as the hospitals can do, there is still no cure.

For the past two years, I have felt helpless. I’ve wanted to be more supportive of my father in his struggle, but was unsure how I could help. Only recently did I realize that I had the means to help raise support, funds and awareness for a disease which affects my father, thousands of other Canadians and could one day affect me.

Myeloma is a much less common form of cancer and as such, does not have nearly the wide recognition, or financial support as some other forms. However, while it is rare, survival rates are very low for those diagnosed with myeloma.

Myeloma Canada is the only organization in Canada focused uniquely on the Canadian myeloma community. With your donations, this organization is able to continue their support for the myeloma community and aid research into new treatments to fight this difficult disease.

So please, help my father and the over 6000 other Canadians currently living with myeloma in Canada. Show your support, spread the word, and give generously.

3 comments:

Anonymous September 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Hi Shane, your Aunt Cheryl suggested I check out your blog and what you are doing for Myeloma Canada. Your aunt is a care-giver (and I might add, a great one) for my mother, Olive Davies, in the personal care home in Souris. My brother-in-law,from Calgary, has suffered from the disease for 5 years. He has been in remission but recently the cancer has returned and he is on an experimental drug. As you know, it is a long and constant battle. Keep up the journey and good luck. Marilyn Willoughby

Anonymous September 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Thank you Shane for the work you are doing to raise awareness and funds. I will pass the message along to our family and send a donation for your cause.

Anonymous September 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Hello Shane. My wife was diagnosed with Multiple myeloma last month. Thanks for your hard work in raising the profile so politicians and others can fund treatment of this condition and as the experts say they are on the edge of finding a cure, patients will be covered for their meds. to enable them to have productive lives.

Post a Comment