Day 22: Last straw(s)

I didn't so much wake up this morning as I did eventually decide that I was sick of shivering inside my completely enclosed mummy bag. I had thought that a sleeping bag rated to 2 degrees would be warm enough for the month of August but I was obviously wrong.

Last night was likely only 4 or 5 degrees, but apparently the company also lied. Alas, not much I could do but wait for the sun to heat things up a bit and get on the road.

The hills just past marathon were fitting to the name and once again *drumroll please* there was a bit of a headwind. Personally, I've been quite amazed that while following a circle around lake Superior, the wind has managed to track me and blow in my face the whole way.

It was also an interesting experience to be cold all day but still manage a sunburn on my neck. That was sadly the most noteworthy part of my day on the road.

By the time I reached White River, I'd had enough and wasn't even going to try to be a tough guy again. It was already cooling off and my body ached in ways I've never experienced. I decided to swallow my pride and go to a motel. Once I had made the decision to take it easy, in true Saunderson fashion, I was sure to do it right. Say what you will, but at 6pm today, this sight was the very definition of the word heaven:


Motel room with bathtub: $62.17
Large pepperoni pizza: $13.73
Two cans lager beer: a few charming smiles at reception
Scratching an itch of 3 cravings at once: Priceless


Since it was late on a Sunday in a small town, the liquor store was closed. However, when I put on my utterly hearbroken face, the receptionist felt compelled to dig a couple out of her fridge for me. The rest is glorious history.

I'm sure you're trying to remind me that I need to get back on the road tomorrow and I still have a few days in the bush before the Soo. Unfortunately, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous August 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

God Bless you Shane!

A.

Anonymous August 31, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

What an experience! Keep it up! You were on the front page of the Plaindealer again.

Brad.

Allan Willy & Dawne Warner August 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

Shane,

Marathon to White River, Ontario you pass over a world-class 21 million ounce gold deposit (called the Hemlo gold deposit) currently being mined by Barrick Gold Corp. Were there any rainbows leading to this big pot of gold? My company, Jiminex Inc. (www.jiminex.com) has a property just 15 km west of the Hemlo deposit and you rode right through the centre of that as well.

Good luck and better weather in the rest of your trip.

Allan Willy & Dawne Warner (my wife and MM patient) in Toronto, Ontario

Jess September 1, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

Isn't that where Winnie the Pooh is from? I think they had a statue...

Post a Comment