Rest Day: Swift Current

Brie and Morgan lined me up to stay with Morgan's brother, Nathan, his wife and 3 kids while in Swift Current. I know that I will likely have much larger trials to overcome, but after the days since Lethbridge, I was in dire need of a break.


I took today to do the ususal; bike maintenance, catch up on emails, buy groceries. I also updated the Trip Log section, which gives a few interesting stats about my days on the road.

While replying to a mound of emails, I noticed one question which seemed to come up a lot was regarding how I kept myself occupied on the road. Everyone wanted to know how I wasn't going crazy while cycling, day in, day out. The key is, people, I'm already completely off my rocker (as though that's shocking news).

It is a keen observation though; 5 or more hours a day of cycling is enough to drive the average person mad. Add to that the remainder of the afternoon during which all I really have to do is setup my tent and prepare myself for the following day, and you can see how this lifestyle can become a bit isolated. I've always been a very social person, but at the same time, I'm someone who can cope with a bit of alone time.

So far, I've found the time alone quite relaxing and a perfect opportunity to sort out my thoughts, think about the future, and amuse myself with random (and likely strange from an external perspective) inside jokes.

Beyond that, music is, as always, my true savior. Given that it's almost always too dangerous on the road to be listening to an mp3 player, most days I just sing to myself. Sometimes I sing in my head, sometimes I hum a little tune under my breath, and other times, I find myself cycling down the trans-Canada, screaming Hey Jude at the top of my lungs.

Once I start getting bored of the music in my head, I just start writing more. By the time I get back to Toronto, The Noble Rogues should have enough new tunes to last us a few years. In short... Iain start hunting for a jam space, I'm going to need at least a day or two in there to get this all off my mind.

Though the road is too damned long
And the souls have all gone home
It may seem to everyone but me
That I am alone

But I'll get there
When I get there
If I even get there at all

Don't you ever go alone
Were the words my momma told
But I've seen the truth and know
You're never alone

2 comments:

allan willy August 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

Shane,

My name is Al Willy and my wife Dawne Warner is approaching 5 1/2 years since her multiple myeloma diagnosis and 5 years in good partial remission from her autologous stem cell transplant. You may find it interesting to know that I grew up in Swift Current and graduated in geological sciences at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon.

Dawne and I appreciate what you are doing to help multiple myeloma patients and will be making a small donation..however many small donations really add up.

Your fund-raising project was announced today at the Toronto and District Multiple Myeloma Support Group meeting by Frank Bowles and he challenged the audience to match his donation.

Cheer up on your lonely, boring bike trip, as we of the older generation, absent of cell tels and music players, found that lonesome activity encouraged thinking. Plus, despite the flat stretch you have ahead towards Regina, the scenery is still scenery. Watch for the Regina mirage if the sun is shining. Because of the flatness west of Regina, the city appears to be much closer than it really is...THAT may be frustrating!

Good luck on your trip and hope to meet you in Toronto.

Allan Willy August 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

OOPS!!

It was Mr. Frank Boal who challenged the audience to match his donation...I did! Sorry for the mistake.

Al Willy

Post a Comment