Day 9: I just forgot to stop

I started out today like most other days. After getting a fantastic sleep at Benton's house (thanks again!) I got on the road. I was even a bit later than usual starting since it was only 80km to regina. Somewhere along the way things apparently got confusing. I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

I met up with a handful of people for lunch. Mona, who is trying to start a local support group organized a fantastic welcoming committee for me consisting of a couple of other patients: Ray, sharon and her husband David. In addition Karen, a patient from small town Ontario contacted me to let me know that her daughter was traveling out west and would likely cross paths with me. As such, her daughter Alison and her friends Cheryl, Sam and Jamie managed to join us for lunch.

The meal was a fantastic opportunity for us all to talk about everyone's treatments and how their lives had been with myeloma. I hope it was useful for Alison as well who's mother was just diagnosed a year ago. Personally, every story I hear gives me more and more confidence for my father to live a much longer, relatively healthy life. I no longer see myeloma as a disease which people are dying of; it is a disease which many must live with for the rest of their life.

After lunch, I was intending on staying with my friend Kari-Lyn in Regina. Unfortunately, she was out of town and not to be back until 10pm. This got me to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing. I had the wind at my back and a load of energy. I could take 4 days to get to my home town of Souris OR if I started pushing a bit harder, I could be in my own bed in 3 and have an extra day off.

You can figure out what my conclusion was but I'll put it this way: I've almost gone 200km today and I'm in Wolseley. It's nearly 7pm but I'm not quite done for the night.

I just keep forgetting to stop.

4 comments:

bigredswildpitch August 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

good work keep on cruiein ,you have the willpower and energy!!!

Carol Westberg August 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM  

Hi Shane...wowsers..your movin' right along!!!
If you are in contact with Mona from Regina..you can give her my contact info if she is trying to get a support group going!! I would love to help her out!
Take good care...
Gentle hugs...
Carol

Cheryl and Family August 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

Hi Shane!

I'm sitting here reading your day 9 trip log and want you to know how proud we are of you and what your doing. We really enjoy hearing of each days adventures and look forward to seeing you on the weekend. Safe trip, God Speed.

Love, Your Family

Anonymous August 17, 2009 at 11:23 PM  

Sorry we missed you Shane! Hope things continue to go well!

Kari-lyn

Post a Comment