Rain Day: Rossport

(expanded upon from barely decipherable notebook scribbles)

Its cold (8'C), it's pouring, and there is a massive headwind. Any one of those three ingredients and I might still consider being on the road, however add a dash of Shane and we have a perfect recipe for hypothermia. I spent the entire day keeping an eye on the weather hoping for a break to hit the road, but it never came.

If you're wondering, I found a task even more boring than watching grass grow: watching slugs crawl on a tent. I started to name them and quickly realized that I was going mad and needed to get out of the tent. I went back to Serendipity for another great meal and this time had a good long chat with the owners.

Roger took a liking to me and after enough complimenting, he even gave me the recipe to his delicious Serendipity rice:

1 large yellow onion
2 cans of Campbell beef broth
1 cup of white wine
4 cups of water
4 cups of rice

fry the diced onion in a pan with butter or oil
add the dry rice to the pan after the onion is clear
mix the liquids and bring them to a boil
add the rice onion mix to the boiling pot
place the pot in an oven at 350f for 45 minutes

enjoy!!



See, I did more than freeze my butt off in my tent all day.

1 comments:

Anonymous September 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

It's too bad you had such lousy weather at Rossport. Marcie and I discovered it last summer when driving back from Montreal and think it's one of the most beautiful and scenic little towns along Lake Superior. We also discovered Serendipity and enjoyed sitting on their outside patio enjoying the views, while you unfortunately had to shiver in a wet tent. Keep going and hang in there - you're bound to get some better weather and when you get around the east side of Superior you're into more downhills. Marcie headed out yesterday from Montreal and is cycling towards Newfoundland now - hope she gets there before the snow flies.- Michelle McFadden

Post a Comment