Day 7: So much salt

It seems that this is to be a trip of extremes. When times are bad, they're gonna really suck. However, when things are looking up, the world is my oyster. It was a gorgeous, sunny day and there was only a slight head wind, which was a change from the usual (seriously, I was under the impression that the wind blew east in this country). In fact, today went so well that I could have been found attempting to sing four part harmony to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsoedy. Boy did the truck drivers get a show today.

I traveled from Swift Current this morning to Chaplin: home of North Americas second largest salt lake. Chaplin however had much more to offer me other than simply salt. Upon arriving into this booming metropolis, i quickly learned that I would be privy to both a pool and an ice cream hut.
*insert appropriate dance here*


After spending the afternoon in the pool and treating myself to yet another skor blizzard, I took a seat near the local nature museum to write and reflect. I hadn't been there 5 minutes when suddenly Clint, a good friend of my brother in law, walked up and plunked down beside me. Initially I didn't even recognize him, partially because i hadn't seen him in ages and also partially because I was still in shock that someone I knew had coincidentally bumped into me on the road. He, his wife and their two kids were heading from Calgary out to visit family and friends in Winnipeg.

So, after a big greasy dinner, I write to you before setting up camp and dreaming of the gaping open mouth of a moose. Thanks again to Nathan and Michelle for putting me up in Swifty!! A warm bed and farmiliar faces always beats a cold tent and this guy Leonard, who I'm convinced is stalking me (kidding!).

3 comments:

Anonymous August 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

Good to hear from you today. Keep the posts and laughs coming...and if you ever want to turn these into your memoirs you know who can help hook you up with a book deal!

Jana

Anonymous August 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

Cousin Rob here. Had a cold beer with Jana and Scott the other day. We joked how you were battling the elements on the road and we were battling to see who bought the next round. Its just not fair! I think it great what you're accomplishing and achieving each day one pedal at a time. Keep up the great job for a great cause! I think Grandma Spud still has that yellow banana seat bike if yours breaks down. I have her pump up the tires just in case.

Rob Cruise

Loly August 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

Hiiiiii Shane!!!
Sorry for very late response - can't reply at work, and trying to reply on my phone has not been very easy!!

I'm really enjoying following your adventure - your accounts of everything are hilarious! Gives me a good chuckle. Keep the updates coming and know I'm reading your blog every day!!! :)

Lots of love,
Lauren
(Along with the contingent of the late Lord Humphrey, the late Mr Swanson, and the late twins Doug and Bob.)

Post a Comment