Day 27: Listen to my own words

Something hit me last night, and it wasn't a truck. When I go on vacation, the first few days are always difficult since I'm still stuck in my obsessive, tunnel-vision-focus work mode. It isn't until I have a couple days off that I remember how to relax and start enjoying myself.

Now granted, this isn't really a vacation (read: one of the most difficult things I've ever done) but it is still an adventure and I feel as though I've allowed the same plague to infect this trip, but on a much larger level. Through this entire journey, I had been so focused on my schedule, or my biking statistics, or every little press release, or making sure that everything was supposed to be perfect, that I neglected to let myself relax and enjoy the trip much. Yes, this may be in part why the campaign has gone so well (nearly $30,000 raised!! We're almost there!) but I want to make sure I'm doing things my way too.

I'll get there when I get there
if I even get there at all


I think I wrote these words somewhere back in Saskatchewan, but I don't think I've been living by them. I rushed through the cold and rain to make sure I was in the Soo when I said I would. I pushed myself through the prairies and barely noticed the few fields beside me. Even just two days ago, I nearly had a hissy fit when I had to re-plan my route and miss out on Subury.

But no more. From here on, the only place I need to be is finished and the best time to do that is when I finish. That said, my current situation is likely a bit counter intuitive. My body feels great, but my mind is exhausted, lonely, and wants to be with friends. As such, my days are getting longer and my distances more aggressive. The 10th is well in hand as a finish date and the 9th is starting to look more and more appetizing. If it's all got to be done anyway, I'd rather make hay while the sun is shining.

So, I'm a bit past Espanola today. It was another sunny day, with a small, unfortunate headwind, but that didn't stop me from marching over 130kms. Only an hour ago, I bid adieu to the trans-Canada for good. I'm now on the #6 to Manitoulin island and will later be on smaller roads in southern Ontario. It was a good road for over 3200km, but like all things good and bad, it must come to an end. I can't say I'll miss all the heavy transport traffic, or the horrible road conditions, but we'll see what the road ahead holds.

I'll likely be catching the ferry tomorrow and from there... only time will tell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment