Day 26: Hellllooooooooo LEGS!!

Today was as close to perfect as I think things are going to get. It was sunny, clear skied, relatively flat and most importantly, the winds were as calm as Hindu cows. Of course a tailwind would have been nice, but after last week, I'll take whatever I can get.

I started the day by enjoying a nice breakfast with Jill, Ted and their cousin Jamie. We probably stayed up partying a bit too late last night and I didn't get on the road until close to 11, but some things are just worth it. I'd rather have a good time now and sleep when I'm dead. Thank you again Jill and Ted for all of your hard work and for being so hospitable. I did more and met more people in a day in the Soo than the entire week around Superior and most definitely will have some great memories to take with me.

Once I finally got going on the road I again noticed something different. With smaller hills, no winds and rested legs, I was really booking it. I covered 120km today at around 25km/h without even feeling it and am suddenly very excited to blow through the rest of this ride. I kept looking down at my legs, expecting them to eventually hit the wall as they had so many days before around northern ON, but they simply pushed on, and smirked at me as though to say we're baaaacck.

All things considered, it was an enjoyable but uneventful day. The shoulders are still horrible and there are still a ton of trucks, but that should all change once I turn onto Manitoulin in the next couple days.

As a parting shot, I think I found my favorite road sign of the entire trip. I wish I could say this was a unique anomoly, but these things were everywhere. I was pissed off because I didn't see a single carriage; all I stumbled across was a pile of horse crap.

1 comments:

Anonymous September 4, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Hey Shane,

Glad to hear of your progress today. It was such a pleasure, indeed a privilege to be part of your journey.

As you rode off this morning we were left feeling sad, yet grateful for the memories. In such a short timespan, we feel like we've known you for a long time.

Your courage and tenacity are amazing. And, you are an incredibly talented musician to boot - thanks for entertaining us!

Safe journey,

Hugs,
Jill & Ted

Post a Comment