Aftermath: Stats

I swear I'm not dead... in fact contrary to what many of you may believe, I'm not even really relaxing. I've spent the past 3 days trying to re-integrate myself into society and set up my new life in Toronto, which is much harder than I thought it would be.

Even though I lived in Montreal for 8 years, the day I arrived here, I actually found the city to be too much stimulus. After a month and a half out in the woods, with nothing to focus on but left, right, left, there's a bear, right, left... I found that my mind was simply not ready for so much going on. Still, I'm slowly adapting again, and shedding off my animalistic instincts to get back to urban living.

I've got a series of 'wrap-up' posts that I'm hoping to get through over the next week or two. My initial intention was to start doing them immediately after the ride, however life has been so busy since arrival that I haven't had the chance. I actually started waking up at 6am again just so that I could get things done. However, considering that I wasn't even supposed to be arriving until today (Friday) I'm really not behind at all; in fact I'm still ahead.

Today, I thought it could be fun to share some of the statistics and break down some of the numbers for you on this trip. These were things which stuck out in my mind and interesting little points that I thought needed to be aired:
-Days on the road: 30
-Total Distance Covered: 3646.42km
-Total Time Cycling: 162 hours, 8 minutes
-Daily Average: 121.54km
-Longest Day: 210.27km (Moose Jaw -> Grenfell)
-Shortest Day: 64.17km (Virden -> Souris)
-Total Average Speed: 22.81km/h
-Best Daily Average: 29.54km/h (coming into Winnipeg)
-Worst Daily Average: 16.56km/h (headwinds & hills near Marathon)
-Trip Max Speed: 69.05km/h (Airport Rd, just north of Toronto)
-Rainy Days: 5
-Rained Out: 1
-Tailwind Days: 5
-Calm Wind Days: 6
-Headwind Days: 19 (now do you understand what all the complaining was about?)
-Coldest Temperature: 3 C (night near Marathon)
-Hottest Temperature: 35 C (day out of Calgary)
-Chain Repairs: 0
-Wheel Replacements: 1 (rear)
-Spoke Replacements: 7
-Flat Tires: 9
-Nights in a house: 11 (thanks again everyone!!)
-Nights in a hotel: 1
-Nights in a campground: 2
-Nights in the bush: 16
-Bear Sightings: 2
-Bear Attacks: 0
-Hawk Attacks: 1
-Touring Cyclist Sightings: 11
-Times forced to hit the gravel: 4 (1 near Wawa, 1 near Prawda, 2 on Bruce Peninsula)
-Longest stretch of days without showering: 5
-Song most often screamed aloud: Hey Jude: The Beatles
-Layers of sunburn: 4
-Last time since I shaved: August 19
-Songs written on trip: 5
-Amazing people met: countless

I've still got endless stories to tell and so much information to update you on, but only so much time to devote to this campaign now that I'm back to city living. Keep watching the website for the odd periodic wrap-up on the trip and on how the fund raising is going!

Lastly, a big hello to everyone who was able to make it out to Calgary today for the annual Myeloma Canada conference!! I wish I could have joined you, but I'm too exhausted to justify traveling again. At minimum, I'll "see" you tonight at the dinner!

www.prairiepedal.com

2 comments:

Anonymous September 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

Way to go Shane. We always knew you would make it. We followed you all the way on your blog site and really enjoyed reading your story.
We are very proud of you.
Auntie Jody & Jim

Anonymous September 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

Congratulations Shane - it was fun following your trip through your blog. If you'd arrived there a bit sooner you could have kept going to Newfoundland with Marcie, but she's already in New Brunswick. Way to go with the fund raising - that's quite an accomplishment. - Michelle and Gord McFadden

Post a Comment