Day 11: No place like home

Of course, unlike Dorothy... I didn't have the option of simply banging my heels together 3 times. We last left you after spending a wonderful evening with Joanne and Genvieve at the Towler residence in Virden. This morning, Bev was still sleeping after working an exhausting late shift and Garth had to drive into Winnipeg. Fortunately, I might as well be their son, so I was left to man the house. I made breakfast and got the girls on the road, and then had the luxury of sitting around for a while. It was fantastic to travel with a couple of kindred spirits, and I hope they have a safe ride all the way home to New Brunswick.

Bev and I spent the morning catching up, and I did a small interview with the local Virden paper. Around 1:30, I decided that I should eventually get on the road, and head back to my little slice of heaven. If you're thinking for even a second that this was going to be a fairy-tale story, think again.

The wonderful tail-winds which had pushed me so far the previous two days had switched directions and I spent one of the most grueling days on the road yet. Although it was a mere 65km to the farm, I still felt worse after this day than I did after the 200km day with a wind at my back. It's rather amazing how much of a difference a little wind can make. I read somewhere that a cyclist could feel as much as 50% of the effect of a wind (meaning that even a 20km/h wind could slow my speed by 10km/hr) and today was a reminder of that effect.

Still, not even brimstone from the sky was going to slow me down today. Though the wind was merciless and the roads were rough (I took some backroads to get home) I knew the prize that waited at the end of the day. Though it may seem like nothing to you, this was the most glorious sight I could have asked for:

I hadn't been home since Christmas 2007. The last time I saw my dog, she was at least 15lbs lighter. The yard has new trees in it that I don't recognize, and old trees which I planted as a child which are bigger than I ever though possible (I sound like an old parent recalling when a kid was THIS big). Most of the farm equipment is gone after my family's farm auction in April. My dad had moved a shed from the bins over to the garden, since his retirement has got him focused more on the garden than the fields. The office doesn't have the same crappy desk I used to spend hours on end sitting at. They re-tiled the bathroom. My parents were even talking about remodeling my room.

And yet it felt like nothing... not a single bit had changed. This place was, is, and always will be... home. I must admit, things might get a bit awkward after my parents sell the place and I try to sleep in my old bed... but I'm sure the new family will be understanding.

Dad and I spent the afternoon catching up over a couple cold ones and mom arrived around 7pm with my Grandma from Dauphin. I was told that we have a BBQ planned for Saturday night which will involve more family than the Italian mob, and I can't wait to see everyone again.

So here I sit and type; one-third finished, met some of the most incredible people of my life, seen the prairies in a way I've never before and completely aware that my journey has really only just begun.

I couldn't be happier to be home, but I can't wait to hit the road again.

Ok... after my butt has a few days off.

http://www.prairiepedal.com/

3 comments:

Christina August 14, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Enjoy your well-deserved days off and the time you'll get to spend with your family!

Anonymous August 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

Family and good friends make our life a happier place. We're sure you are making new friends on your way even if you havent personally met them . They are your supporters ,patients and their families and friends ,and the list continues... Shane ,good luck the rest of your journey! Your father must be so proud of you .
A.

Anonymous August 16, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

It was great to see you yesterday Shane. We are very proud of you. Hope you have tail winds, strong tires, and a tough backside for the rest of your journey. Good luck.
Jim and Joanne

Post a Comment