It's a Jungle out there

I had a fantastic lunch today with Carol Westberg and Jim Hunter. Carol is a member of the Southern Alberta Myeloma Support group and is currently organizing a 5/8km fundraiser for the group. Conveniently, this run is to occur on August 1st in Calgary, which coincides with the start of my ride. As such, my whole family will be out for the run and after running the course alongside many others out to help the fight against myeloma, I'll hop on my bike and be on my way.

If you're in the Calgary area on August 1st, please come out and join the Multiple Miles for Myeloma fundraiser and help see me off on my big journey!

Jim Hunter is a local athletic trainer, motivational speaker, and host of his own radio show on FAN960. Known to many as 'Jungle Jim', he was one of the original "Crazy Canucks" who won Canada an Olympic bronze in 1972 and spent most of the 70's as an amateur and professional downhill skier.

Jim, Carol and I met today to discuss my ride, the walk/run next weekend, multiple myeloma, and health in general. Jim was incredibly insightful and offered a number of very useful tips for me on the road. In addition, he has been very gracious in offering me a quick slot on his weekly show on the Fan960. Every Saturday morning from 9-11am (MDT), Jim hosts a program about young athletes training for the Olympics.

While I have no delusions that I'll ever be well trained enough to be an Olympian, I will be updating Jim on the progress of my ride each week from the road. Starting tomorrow (July 25) at 9am (MDT), tune into the Fan960 in Calgary to hear Jim and I talking about the Prairie Pedal and the adventures which lie ahead!

And lastly, my chariot has arrived!! I need to give a huge thank you to Peter Vallance and everyone at Rocky Mountain Bicycles. They have graciously provided me with a Sherpa 10 at cost and helped me with one of the most essential parts of my journey! I've now got the week ahead to gather all the accessories I need and make sure I still remember how to ride!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment